15:23

Showdown - Primers - NARS v Benefit v Shu Uemura


So before we get started, I'm pretty sure a lot of people know what a primer is, and the benefits of using a primer, but for those who don't, here's some brief info. Basically primer is what you put on your face before makeup, or on its own, in order to smooth out the texture of your skin, and create a flawless base for your makeup. Most primers aim to minimise pores and bumps on your skin. In some cases it may also even out some discolouration. Primers also help to keep your makeup looking fresh and perfect for longer throughout the day.

So basically every cosmetic brand has a primer, but some of the most talked about primers these days includes Makeup Forever's green primer (green to help cancel out redness), but unfortunately, that product is very difficult to find in Australia. Apart from this, other main primers in the beauty world today include NARS pro prime, Benefit POREfessional, Shu Uemura UV under base mousse, as well as Smashbox photofinish primer (i personally hate that product with a passion.) Anyway, more on that later... Let's start the showdown?


1. NARS Pro-Prime Oil-Free
Pros - As the name states, it's oil free, that's got to be one of the best things, especially in the case of my combination skin. The product is light weight, and you seriously don't feel it under your makeup. Unlike some oil-free products, this product doesn't leave your skin feeling dried out, in fact, it doesn't feel dried out at all. A little bit of this product goes along way, in fact my little swatch up there would most definitely cover your whole face, if not more. The packaging in convenient as you don't have to fumble with it in the morning. It doesn't clog the pores, but more or less just covers them, leaving a perfect base for your foundation. From my experience, it helps foundation stay on for around 10 hours, before it starts wearing off.

Cons - There's no SPF in it (or so I believe.)

Okay, clearly I don't really have many negatives for this product, overall I rate this a 9.5 out of 10.




 2. Benefit PORE-fessional
Pros - This product is also oil free, it glides on smoothly, and covers my pores. It helps to reduce signs of bumps and uneven texture on the skin. It's translucent, so it works for all skin tones. It's relatively light weight, as you can tell this is the thickest of the products, but I suppose it's still relatively light weight, I mean I can feel it, but it's not half bad. The texture isn't sticky.

Cons - A little bit does NOT go a long way. It's a 22mL tube, but it doesn't last for even half as long as my NARS Pro-Prime (30mL). It contains no SPF, and sometimes irritates my skin after long periods of wearing it. I find this product actually clogs my pores as well. It doesn't keep foundation on for that much longer.

It's a slightly better than average product, that does it's job, but doesn't have that many added benefits. I rate this a 8 out of 10.




3. Shu Uemura UV under base mousse
Pros - This product contains SPF 30+, meaning that you don't need to add a layer of sunscreen underneath. The bottle is cute, and a little bit goes a long way. It keeps make up on for a really long time, i'd say long over 8 hours. I believe, in my personal experience that this product does not clog up my pores, and it evens out my skin texture alright.

Cons - This product irritates my skin over the long run, particularly in winter. There's a tint to it, making it unacceptable for some skin tones. I mean it's okay for me. It feels very drying on the skin, despite the fact that is' NOT oil-free. It often feels a bit sticky on the skin, and takes a while to dry. It can be left streaky if not applied properly.

An overall alright product, It semi-does its job, but props to the cute packaging? Overall I rate this a 7 out of 10.


BONUS:
Here's my thoughts on Smashbox Photo Finish primer. I basically had one major problem with this skin tone. It broke me out and turned me red like tomato. I really don't recommend this product to people who break out easily, or have oily to combination skin, there's a chance that it may happen to you too. I know this isn't always the case, but there are a lot of people who have the same problem with this primer as I do. It does it's job, and gives a more matte look to the face, but honestly, I don't think it's worth it, particularly if it's going to make me breakout every time I use it. Rant Over.

No comments:

Post a Comment